Autoplot Application (v2020a_9)
Controls for X=, Y=, and Z= keywords added to the ASCII Editor Panel.
Autoplot allows plotting of data from many data sources, including remote CDF files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension, data are loaded into the internal data model. Data are then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data. Data can then
be additionally processed with other operations like smooth and FFT, and Jython scripting provides a capable programming environment.
This is the Autoplot v2020a branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 7 is now required. Java 8 will be required sometime soon.
Run with 4GB of memory (64-bit Java only): autoplot_4GB.jnlp
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line.
Mac DMG Release is available.
Windows .exe is available.
Bugfixes (2020-07-13 r24952):
- Don't assume that LABLAXIS in CDF file is string data, and print a warning when it isn't. Thanks, Chris!
- Color Scatter from ASCII file, using X=, Y=, and Z= switches works again. Thanks, Sadie!
- bugfix: jump-to-line menu construction assumed classes were always inherited.
- vap+inline:randn(100),randn(100) was mistaken for a mash-up URI.
- selection area (yellow flashes) miscalculated for color scatter mode.
- 2269: SeriesRenderer would not clear exception, so returning to correctly-loading interval would not correctly display. Thanks Chris and Bill!
- occasional half-pixel error when position of image is calculated in SeriesRenderer.
- rte_1424143028: handle non-CDF file error on machine where memory mapping cannot be used.
- triple quotes could cause problems when parsing Jython file to get arguments.
- 1674: loose jython work by switching file.
- 2262: script editor undo's script load.
- 1983: jython error reporting doesn't check file name and can mark the wrong file.
- new irange function had a bug where it would return 1..4 instead of 0..3.
- 2266: File->Open .vap file was broken by code change. Thanks, Bill!
- 2264: GitHubFileSystem code still showed problems on Windows.
- triple quotes when grabbing the part of script that is just the parameters
- correction to rfe720, where spectrogram was miscalculated.
- errors when multiple threads would access the same file on GitHubFileSystem. Thanks, Kristoff!
- try/catch on DasPlot topDecorator, making debugging difficult when there is a runtime error.
- series renderer properly handles case where data has one fill record.
- StackedHistogramRenderer didn't handle when cadence guess failure occurs.
- Das2 Render legendLabel property had typo, was lengendLabel.
- correct X cadence when Y is cycling.
- corrections to setDepend0Cadence, where valid inputs "1" and "4.5" were not accepted by the GUI.
- 1682: header of events list resulted in fill record, when CSV reader would properly skip. Thanks, Masafumi!
- 1682: CSV files containing events lists were broken after refactoring. Thanks, Masafumi!
- improve feedback when orbits file is not found.
- TimeRangeTool's next and previous buttons preserve month identity.
- cut-n-paste code mixed recVariance and reform.
- Jython scripts with syntax errors failed quietly when run from the address bar. Now a clear error message is indicated.
- Crosshair digitizer looking up Z values from spectra, would fail with rank 3 bundle of 1-record tables. Thanks, George!
- Don't include .jy scripts in list of mashable recent datasets.
- aggregation of CDF file with 1 record in a file would fail because BufferDataSet.append code was incorrectly implemented.
- findbugs OS_OPEN_STREAM in old das2stream code.
- X, Y, and Z, controls supported in ASCII editor.
- pngwalk animated gif output has option to shrink each frame by 60%.
- add lonarr(n) and lonarr(n,m) for storing CDF_TT2000 data.
- Das2 renderer ID is displayed in property tables and can be accessed by scripts.
- backgroundThick property added so that contrasting color is provided by SeriesRenderer. Thanks, Ivar!
- rank 2 replicate added. Thanks, Ivar!
- lastminute keyword added to times, to provide a way to refer to the last minute elapsed in real-time applications.
Less recent features:
- finally allow inspect button to be used to change the timerange of remote .vap files.
- 720: reducex has third argument which will will also average timetags in each bin. Thanks, Bill!
- add icons for jython commands in completion popups.
- add irange function to avoid the confusion of xrange, and which allows double arguments.
- GrannyTextRenderer has getBounds2D so that code can be used without cast to float.
- add matlab_hsv colorbar. Thanks, Andrei!
- add spectrogram interpolation mode which first interpolates in X and then in Y. Thanks, Bill!
- new strarr functions return rank 1 and rank 2 arrays of empty strings. Thanks, Ivar!
- support assigning strings to datasets in Jython when the units are set already.
- link supports rank 0 datasets.
- join supports rank 0 dataset arguments with CONTEXT_0 property to form datasets.
- PngWalkTool's show sublist uses TimeRangeTool to select time ranges.
- IDLSav data source has X=, Y=, and Z= keywords to match CDF. Thanks, Scott!
- loadErrors=T introduced to CDF data source. Thanks, Jon N!
- Write contact sheet in PngWalkTool created. Thanks, Kris!
- bundle of rank 2 datasets can be exported to CDF file. Thanks, Kristoff!
- see Source Forge
- Bugs often have a four-digit ID and can be reviewed with https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/bugs/<ID>/.
- Features typically have a three-digit ID and can be reviewed with https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/feature-requests/<ID>/.
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.