Autoplot Application (v2013b_2)
New where parameter for CDF makes it easier to filter by mode.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including local files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension a module is used to load the data into the internal data model. Data is then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data.
This is the Autoplot2013b branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 6 is now required.
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line. Note CDFs are only supported
via the Java-based reader and Autoplot will attempt to use it when the C-based version is not available.
SourceForge has changed the numbering of all the bugs. If you go to the page
https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/bugs/, "Search Bugs" in the upper left corner can be used
to resolve old numbers.
- clean up of export to rich ascii
- hide confusing plot buttons on add bookmark popup
- log level are not set initially. This was unnecessary and prevented use of logging.properties file
- rte 1171026816: George's RTE about RBSP-ECT file
- 1140: bugfix in TSB where events where thrown out when application was locked, so data wouldn't load
- rte 1466756642: new code broke "View in Autoplot" button. Thanks balazs, dgcrawfo, and icohen
- 1138: don't mistake "/c" for protocol in "/c:/"
- isConstant uses equivalent function now, instead of .equals.
- A CDF variable's DELTA_PLUS_VAR could point to itself, cause infinite recursion and crashing Java
- improve support for rank 2 energies, supporting ds[:,0:2,:] so DEPEND_2 is preserved.
- the delegate editor with aggregation could not remove parameters.
- DataSourceEditor browseSourceType handles plugins like script:... properly, avoiding runtime error.
- Edit->Options copied to Options->Additional Options, Edit-Options will be removed after AGU.
- check rich ascii dep0 for colon splitting name from description
- 1128: horizontal and vertical slices need to go away when data goes away
- 1129: renderers can get out of sync with axes, fail to repaint
- 1130: bugfix in java cdf, where outerProduct was used to replicate a non-varying record, replacing invalid measurements with fill value, so valid range could not be corrected.
- addTab is run on event thread, could cause deadlock
- reference in DataSource to QStream removed because it was not necessary and caused compile problems.
- clean up after vertical and horizontal spectrogram slicers when spectrogram is removed
- 1095: Seth showed experimental handling of reference cache was causing problems.
- empty CDF files now trigger NoDataInIntervalException when a variable contains no records, rather than IllegalArgumentException, to support use in scripts.
- check for NetCDF/HDF magic number in CDF GUI
- Improve logging with new "gui" logger that will improve feedback for debugging
- length render shows equation of the line
- "Plot Below" button on horizontal slicer copies the data onto the canvas.
- CDF data source allows &where=mode.eq(1)
- slice1 allows slicing at a datum like "1000 eV"
- history dialog has .vap button for convenience and example filter.
Less recent features:
- waveform data supported in the series renderer, allowing finer control.
- add DasPlot options for plot background color, grid color, etc
- properly signed jnlp application allows launching without excessive security dialogs
- Also, message bubble timeout preference introduced as well as displayLogLevel
- 1093: printingLogLevel preference allows messages to be turned off when printing.
- Options panel replaced with custom GUI, old and redundant controls removed, explanations added
- introductory support for VOTables.
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.