Autoplot Application (v2012b_30)
Custom renderers allow for arbitrary data renderings.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including local files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension a module is used to load the data into the internal data model. Data is then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data.
This is the Autoplot2012b branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 6 is now required.
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line. Note CDFs are only supported
via the Java-based reader and Autoplot will attempt to use it when the C-based version is not available.
- plot id changes are propogated through the rest of the vap.
- filenames with spaces would cause problems again.
- SemanticOps.isTableDataSet wouldn't count rank 2 table with rank 2 ytags as table.
- 3611281: Clean up TSB requests when a set of plots shares a time axis. This bug would cause excessive hits to the das2servers.
- Test100 and other tests work properly again
- 3611375: waitUntilIdle properly counts an active editor as idle.
- 3611210: test002 occasionally hangs
- rte_0665049794: changes to improve handling of output from fftPower.
- rfe 3596086: CDF Java implementation now implements slice1 to save memory
- more corrections for Windows names like c:\foo\file.txt
- Improve support for bins datasets for tags. slice0 didn't properly handle this, or the display data slice.
- old NN and spectrogram routines didn't handle bins tags, seriously misrepresenting the data.
- autoplot_data/config/system.properties includes rangeChecking switch after bins datasets caused incorrect rendering of data.
- Java CDF reader improves support for slice1 by slicing as each block is read in.
- waitUntilIdle checks the event queue again for pending updates (test018 would fail occasionally)
- test100 (Jemmy GUI testing) and test037 (user scripts) are functional again.
- rte_0932474502: User arm at Iowa would get runtime errors about width=0 on SunOS.
- 3610169: JythonDataSources wouldn't reject if the timeseries was not specified, causing ranges to reset because it wouldn't adopt the axis range.
- Steve at Goddard pointed out that is nearly impossible to select multiple plots and swap two plots' positions on a mac without a mouse.
- Reload all data now resets Jython data source properly, which would cache the interpreter.
- excessive gaps in LSpec routine resolved by loosening intra-sweep cadence check.
- unrecognized errors from the Data Sources were only printed to the status bar. Now we get a popup.
- jython getItem for QDataSet could fail if dataset was not writable.
- trimDataSet's trim operation wouldn't allow a trim(0,len) operation to work.
- jython invoke(name,PyObject args) did not properly wrap the function
- bookmarks download timeout was in milliseconds instead of seconds, which caused RTE now that there is a 12 hour limit.
- initial coding of int8 transfer type in QStream had bug
- 2987871: limit the number of records formatted to the log console BEFORE formatting them, not after
- fix problem where save vap before load vap would leave Craig in a strange folder
- Leonard pointed out case where CAA would return CDFs that didn't properly mark fill and would cause RTE.
- Reiner had RTE caused by URL having "user@" inserted automatically when authorization was needed
- Bugfix when output of rank 2 where was used to index dataset.
- Non-ascii check in ascii parser didn't account for tabs (ascii=9)
- trace function restored when developing jython scripts.
- 3609543: downloadResourceAsTempFile cleanup policy changed to support multiple processes and Tomcat servers
- history dialog takes timezone into account when listing today, yesterday, etc
- recent change broke BUNDLE in rank 3 datasets from CDF file.
- sprocess was called twice when exporting the processed data.
- 3608830: disable export options that won't work.
- rte_1825469520: URL doesn't contain authority (http:///autoplot.org/)
- recent history takes current timezone into account when listing today and yesterday's URIs
- add setLayout and fixLayout commands to jython.
- add getElementById to application controller.
- add more efficient method for specifying das2server URIs that doesn't require parsing timeranges.
- scripts called from the command-line with --script= will reflect uncaught exceptions in exit status.
- test140 introduced, to support testing URI lists written by others.
- introduce autoplot_data/config/system.properties
- lanlNN can be made the default NN for testing now with a system property.
- data_$Y$m$d_$v.$v.$v.dat is now okay, which is more likely to be discovered by users than is $(v,sep)
- greaterOf and lesserOf methods introduced
- submit runtime error has button to switch to email submit, supporting environments where post is not allowed.
- QStream now has int8 transfer type to support CDF_TT2000 timetags.
- Additional ticks from... dialog keeps a separate history.
- Introduction of SparseDataSet, backed by a map and used to easily describe bundles.
- finally, ~ can be used in the address bar to refer to one's home folder
- export data disabled options are not valid.
- TITLE property is propogated through fftPower
- interpolate binXinterpY introduced.
- checkQube introduced to detect when datasets are really QUBEs and some opperations apply.
- Jython invokeLater command introduced to support simple concurrent scripts.
Less recent features:
- new three-argument |fftPower(512,2,'Hanning') function allows slide and window selection.
- add "copy to clipboard" popup menu item to pngwalk tool, so users can easily copy an image to an email.
- allow autoplot.emailrte=T in properties to allow emailing RTE from networks that don't allow POST
- request processor thread limit is upped to 8 from 6, which was a kludgy fix.
- ascii parser has new format spec, e.g. format='f8,i2,i2,i2'
- add controls for label and title in ASCII URIs.
- record source of scripts installed in tools menu.
- sliceRebinnedData is now persistent between sessions, and is off by default.
- add experimental rebinner for LANL RBSP data that indicates spectrogram boundaries
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.