Autoplot Application (20190125b)
The crosshair digitizer is made to show auxiliary data found in PLANE_0, allowing more flexibility when scripting.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including remote CDF files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension, data are loaded into the internal data model. Data are then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data. Data can then
be additionally processed with other operations like smooth and FFT, and Jython scripting provides a capable programming environment.
This is the Autoplot2018a branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 7 is now required. Java 8 will be required sometime soon.
Run with 4GB of memory (64-bit Java only): autoplot_4GB.jnlp
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line.
Mac DMG Release is available.
Bugfixes (2019-01-25 r23235):
- URL in console was too easy to trigger, so now you need to hold shift while double-clicking.
- Crosshair digitizer "all planes report" checkbox hadn't been tested. Now auxillary planes can be displayed.
- synchronize( data, [timetags] ) will synchronize timetags to data's timetags, to ease use with the mashup tool.
- log10 shows up property in the filter chain.
- downloadResourceAsTempFile also checks for redirects.
- code sites which open a URL connection should log the URL to das.url.
- das2stream units error with yValidMin would cause runtime error and prevent the streams use.
- pds-ppi handles redirects, and is now pointed at https site.
- 2100: export to xls, then try to load the xls.
- when aggregation looks for a representative file, use the first one with non-zero length.
- 2-D buckshotInterpolate rescales the data so that it is always order 1 (an assumption of ProGal library).
- SeriesRenderer red line indicating warning limit is now dashed so that data at the limit can be seen.
- 2096: connector when two slices are done, where CONTEXT_0 should be ignored and CONTEXT_1 should be used.
- ArrayDataSet can now take array of arrays as input, supporting Python NumPy to Autoplot bridge via jpype.
- monitor was reused in IDL bridge's APDataSet, causing warning about misuse of monitor.
- findex non-monotonic check relaxed because it was slow.
- 2087: butterworth might use integer datasets, causing rounding errors which would make things unstable.
- ConvertPropertyValue 1 to Boolean.TRUE failed because the return statement was missing.
- one-record epoch would fail to slice delta_plus[1,1]. Thanks, Jon!
- make all the reduceMax-type functions take a progress monitor. Thanks, Ivar!
- asOrderOneUnits will prefer "2923 days" to "2.52550E14 microseconds" when the units are microseconds an arbitrary threshold was preventing this.
- don't convert units of string to datumRange if the range is incompatible with the context units, only if the range is dimensionless.
- update location for package list completions and example scripts to new Jenkins server.
- recent changes to Auralizer properties slowed things sufficiently that 44.1KHz couldn't keep up.
- AutoplotServlet build with Ant didn't work because file was not committed.
- 2078: colons in aggregations would cause problem in "reject" method, because of improper URI handling.
- test140 needed to reset colors after each .vap is rendered, or non-vaps would have leftover color.
- 2077: corrections to the contours plot. Thanks, Ivar!
- 2076: create pngwalk would show warning bubbles when print log level was OFF, because of typo in synchronize code. Thanks, Masafumi!
- 2074: vap+inline: supports vap+inline:1.23Re,10.21;1.28Re,10.22;1.31Re,10.23; and has tests http://jfaden.net/jenkins/job/autoplot-test147/. Thanks, Ivar!
- 0498: Ok, OK, Okay... Use just OK. Thanks, Bob!
- Orbits from rbspa-pp came from down server, which showed a bug where a second IOException would prevent redundant servers from filling in.
- DatumUtil.lookupDatum now handles strings without a space, like 45Kg, which often appear in vap+inline URIs. Thanks, Ivar!
- test140 explicitly loads files with UTF-8 encoding, to work around a bug where new Jenkins server mis-reports the content-type.
- correct where GUI was created off of the event thread, when script was run from the address bar.
- bug in extent prevented slices of rbspa_int_ect-mageisLOW-L3_20160411_v8.1.0.cdf?FEDU from showing. Thanks, Seth!
- 2073: load TSB blue and grey icons once, since looking up the icon from the classpath can be slow.
- 2073: cache plotElement controller GUIs, which were recreated as the focus moved around.
- 2073: remove old "panel" name, which have been known for years as "plotElements"
- 2073: avoid binding when the axis or data tabs are not visible, to support running scripts with app running.
- 2045: add method for invoking a script from another script.
- Corrections to HAPI export to match 2.0 spec. Thanks, Bob!
- doUnitsCheck needs to support rank 2 y-tags in a bundle.
- new code to add components to the front page could hang app because of event thread mishandling.
- rte_1025124270: JythonDataSource would attempt to attach a label to an immutable dataset, causing RTE.
- 2067: a multi-line colorbar label was not center-justified. Thanks, Ivar!
- rte_1659505011: improve feedback in the Bookmarks GUI, for example where you can "plot" a bookmarks folder.
- rte_0577071170: improve feedback with Jython Data Source when a non-plottable variable unintentionally selected. Thanks Kris!
- 2054: object leaks which occur as the GUI follows focus are corrected.
- 2066: check for negative font metrics getDescent, which would cause the axis ticks to clip.
- inspect button to look for .vap files works again.
- "run batch" cancel button cancels the sub-task.
- "Add additional ticks from" GUI now opens the editor with just "ok" button, not the "plot" button. Thanks, Bob!
- 2064: MMS mms1_edi_vdrift_gse_srvy_l2[:,1]&x=mms1_edi_t_delta_plus_srvy_l2&y=mms1_edi_e_dsl_srvy_l2[:,1] works properly now, where reform flag was incorrectly set. Thanks, sritam!
- "Open Local File" would only show files when "show all" was selected. Thanks, Bob!
- 2063: "convertUnitsTo" didn't properly reset the DOM range, when it reset the implementing DasAxis range. Thanks, Masafumi!
- LICENSE.txt should be LGPL, not GPL.
- add "insert plot elements from clipboard" action.
- beginnings of new das2stream reader which will read directly to QDataSet, instead of via old data model, which is buggy.
- PngWalkTool checks EXIF metadata for rotation cues, so that pngwalk tool works for family photos.
- experimental "expect" code included, which should be useful for writing scripts which control IDL.
- mashup-tool automatically names new variables based on the URI.
Less recent features:
- add xkcd-script font.
- introduce reduceSum which is like total but skips invalid values, and reduceMedian. Thanks, Ivar!
- AudioSystem data source supports export, so data can be sent directly to the sound system.
- issue warnings when ports are used with SFTP, since this isn't supported.
- Auralizer has scale property which can be set to false.
- WindowManager tracks the application size and position.
- new lockDomainDivider axis property avoids jumping when the tick spacing is known to be correct.
- see Source Forge
- Bugs often have a four-digit ID and can be reviewed with https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/bugs/<ID>/.
- Features typically have a three-digit ID and can be reviewed with https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/feature-requests/<ID>/.
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.