Autoplot Application (20181006a)
Tutorials can be made easily, showing graphics for each step and providing a place for workshop attendees to write notes. See this tutorial.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including remote CDF files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension, data are loaded into the internal data model. Data are then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data. Data can then
be additionally processed with other operations like smooth and FFT, and Jython scripting provides a capable programming environment.
This is the Autoplot2018a branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 7 is now required. Java 8 will be required sometime soon.
Run with 4GB of memory (64-bit Java only): autoplot_4GB.jnlp
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line.
Mac DMG Release is available.
Bugfixes (2018-10-06 r22906):
- 2042: correction to the ticks code which would detect when new ticks were needed during pngwalk generation, sometimes failing.
- 2042: correct code which would resize the canvas in scripts running in headful mode, which would occasionally fail.
- 2042: remove old listeners which were preventing DasRows and DasColumns from garbage collection.
- tweaks to pdb (Python debugger) support, trying to improve its utility.
- some annotation position icons were missing.
- StackedHistogram (peaks-and-averages) renderer max values could go past the min of the next channel, creating ambiguity.
- check for dark background color in Jython editor for warnings, program counter, and usages.
- findbugs NP_NULL_ON_SOME_PATH_FROM_RETURN_VALUE.
- When saving logger properties, logger inheritance was not considered, making an overly-explicit configuration.
- Jython dataset(o) now allows o to be a tuple, and background=None uses a transparent background, other minor changes to annotation command.
- when a stack trace is processed in Jython, to jump to the error, allow the stack trace to be deeper, to support Geopack file.
- "about Autoplot" page had the wrong version number.
- 2038: ephemeris labels didn't line up with the values for some tick lengths.
- digitizer labels were not set properly for the addDataPoint(rank1bundle) method, because getComponentNames did not support rank 1 bundle.
- rte_1888141829: digitizer table could only load files containing nominal data if the nominal datums had been created already.
- 2037: correctly read valid_min, valid_max, and fill_value from DSCOVR mission NetCDF files.
- 2013: loading vap should not automatically move spectrograms under line plots.
- improve error feedback when DatumRange string is passed to the Datum parser.
- 2034: reset method must cancel existing monitors on the reset thread.
- 2032: extraneous decimal point in tick labels.
- peaks in stacked histogram renderer didn't clip properly. Thanks, Chris!
- 2029: cdaweb filter apply_esa_flag used old code that relied on monitor reuse, which is no longer allowed.
- 2029: CDF virtual variables would not load because of tighter handling of monitors and sloppy code.
- CDF source's slice1 parameter should better match |slice1.
- add TableRowSorter which minds the data type. Thanks, Masafumi for pointing this out!
- rename codes within CDF reader to be more consistent.
- completions work when coding in indented bug.
- 2025: HAPI GUI failed to initialize properly when the id was already set.
- rte_1870708520: catch runtime exception when trying to find aggregations.
- 2016: plot title macros should always listen to the first plotElement.
- Findbugs tests restored and a round of Findbugs citations were resolved.
- Auralizer code would show index out of bounds with some data, check for constant data.
- AggregatingDataSourceFactory.getFileStorageModel(uri) would fail if the uri didn't have any fields. Thanks, Ivar!
- Fits reader supports where default object is not a readable table.
- Matlab export options was using the IDL options dialog.
- horizontal and vertical slicers allow units sloppiness. Thanks, Chris!
- "clean" method removed from Matlab export to support compiling under Java 9. Thanks, Dan!
- support for renderType="spectrogram>rebin=triScat"
- LoggerManager.readConfiguration can read any file now, not just that named by -Djava.util.logging.config.file=...
Less recent features:
- PNGWalkTool's write-to-PDF now writes caption below, supporting long captions, and includes lines for notes and the file name.
- Jython dataset command now allows dataset(x,y,z) as an experimental alternate to the link command.
- add FileUtil.readFileToString, to simplify scripts.
- checkCadence==False is respected by the spectrogram renderer with most rebin types.
- annotations now have scale property, to support 300dpi printing of externally rendered LaTeX.
- DDataSet slice checks for out-of-bounds on slice, producing a more readable error.
- CDF reader shows data types, record count, block size, and varies flag.
- see Source Forge
- Bugs often have a four-digit ID and can be reviewed with https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/bugs/<ID>/.
- Features typically have a three-digit ID and can be reviewed with https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/feature-requests/<ID>/.
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.