Autoplot Application (20150321a)
The huge scatter renderer now properly implemented for flipped axes.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including local files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension a module is used to load the data into the internal data model. Data is then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data.
This is the Autoplot2015a branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 6 is now required. Java 7 will be required in May!
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line.
Bugfixes (2015-03-21 r16501):
- HtmlTableDataSource name changes, improved support for dates.
- huge scatter properly implements flipped
- magic number check on CDF files would fail with old CDF files
- IndexGenDataSet is now final, more operations try to preserve internal types to save memory.
- CDF file units can now contain LaTeX code as well.
- 1350: Corrections to QStreams containing bundles.
- rte 2071287514: cancel dialog by closing window caused RTE. Check for other places where it is assumed at least one element is returned. Thanks Bob!
- divp implementation fixed
- modp correctly supports seconds-since units to provide easy method for getting hours since midnight.
- don't show number of Epoch records when variable record count doesn't match
- Improve feedback when NetCDF file is mistaken for CDF file
- RGBRenderer checks for log/linear match and prints a warning when they don't match
- within function would incorrectly perform where command, when result should have been zeros and non-zeros. This will affect scripts that use this command.
- clean up javadoc for ArrayDataSet. Make ArrayDataSet implementations consistent with one another.
- introduce org.virbo.dataset.examples.Schemes.java, so that javadoc can refer to it.
- PWD was not available when --script was used.
- 1341: CDF subsample was terribly slow, because subsampling/5M record file. Now just read in all the data, then subsample. Thanks Kristoff!
- pngwalk generation would fail when years were 2008-2014, because it was counting off in 365-day, not yearly increments.
- add Ops.datum after seeing that dataset('2011-06-08T01:54') would parse but datum('2011-06-08T01:54') would not.
- 1339: LANL rank 4 cdf file shows that DataSetWrapper rank 4 was never implemented. Thanks Brian!
- createPngWalk code used to assume vap argument was local reference, which needn't be the case. This may cause problems on Windows.
- set the initial timerange to avoid extraneous load. Thanks Reiner!
- initially set it to slices0(:) GUI correctly.
- 1334: first image of pngwalk would be loaded at the full resolution.
- look up wwwauthenticate in HTTP header information to make the dialog more like webstart auth dialog.
- 1332: autoplot.jnlp would drop the URI when multiple jnlp blocks were found in the jnlp file, even if the first was commented
- bugfix: log message assumed that data was rank 0 in the TCA code, causing failure.
- bugfix: "show in Autoplot" button would now raise the window immediately to show that action has occurred, and progress bars are visible
- support http://autoplot.org/autoplot.jnlp?version=devel&URI kludge, so that references to this version can be used.
- 1331: autorange failure with cdfTT2000 timetags for waveform data on 2014-02-01. Thanks Patrice for pointing out this bug!
- 1330: qds supports aggregation of two time intervals.
- Demo1 then Demo2 showed where DEFAULT_TIME (2010-01-01) was used as an option.
- look for AUTOPLOT_DATA/config/logging.properties.
- bug 1327: blur URI causes das2server to loose resolution.
- correct misspelling/typo of addCapability after years without noticing. Yeah code completion!
- getDataSet menu option completion now correctly checks for var= to see if the user has already corrected the name.
- 1326: aggregations are no longer guaranteed monotonic. See ensureMonotonic to correct.
- allow vap+qds:/tmp/foo.dqt to work. Before it was using the extension.
- bugfix: support eventsListUri in vap file.
- 1326: new aggregation monotonic rule causes too many problems. Initial code to just sort the data.
- das2stream reader detects when a qstream is input.
- Events List tool handles exceptions properly.
- 1321: improvements to the IDL bridge, after trying to read 5M points of magnetometer data. Thanks, Kris!
- 1321: IDL bridge preserves TT2000 longs.
- 1322: aggregation supports NIO BufferDataSets that come out of the CDF reader. (Whoops!)
- 1323: "no valid y tags" message caused by fill in DELTA_PLUS when DELTA_PLUS wasn't really needed. Thanks, Seth!
- 1317: result of fftPower hints that log scale type should be used.
- 1315: keep track of das2server key so the user is prompted just once per session.
- turn on word wrap in runtime error submit form.
- Thin client support finally catches errors instead of leaving the progress wheel spinning.
- corrections to FiltersEditorPanel, such as allowing for float arguments and medianFilter.
- more dasCore code cleanup
- Ascii Table data URIs now support arg_0 to match CDF, which automatically gets the ISO8601 column 0 dependence.
- putBundleProperty and putIndexedProperty added to make it easier to build bundles.
- random sequences used for randn can now be reset.
- support rank 2 bundle in export to IDLSAV
- CDF reader detects HDF and NetCDF files with .cdf extension
- add origin and clockwise controls to pitch angle distribution renderer
- 406: CDF files support some LaTeX for MMS labels
- format to idlsav supports bundles
- javadoc improvements throughout dasCore and QDataSet packages
- DataSetBuilder add nextRecord( Object ... values ) to provide efficient way to define bundles in scripts
- 415: plotx(xpos='50%,100%-5em',ypos='20%,50%') allows direct specification of layout.
- ticks can be set manually from scripts.
- console GUI can export records as XML or flat ascii file now
- Autoplot servlet supports backgroundColor=none for transparent backgrounds
- pngwalk create speed is reported in images per minute instead of .1/sec
- add fftPower that matches the filter call.
- javadoc improvements to DasCore
Less recent features:
- updates to the jnlp/webstart, supporting better offline use and named icons.
- add Jython formUri to provide a nicer way to construct URIs.
- 411: add hook to check for logging.properties to make it easier to debug webstart.
- .pngwalk files now have a baseurl parameter so that they can be used out-of-context.
- add |getProperty('DEPEND_1') filter so I can easily have a look at timetags.
- BufferDataSet, which uses native-memory-backed-buffers, moved from BinaryDataSource to QDataSet
- allow aggregation reduce to be used when resolution is null, because trim will still have an effect.
- SimpleServlet will figure out if URI is a vap file, to support the thin client and to match the Autoplot interface.
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.