Autoplot Application (20141031a)
The PNGWalk Tool got a bit of clean up today.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including local files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension a module is used to load the data into the internal data model. Data is then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data.
This is the Autoplot2014a branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 6 is now required.
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line. Note CDFs are only supported
via the Java-based reader and Autoplot will attempt to use it when the C-based version is not available.
SourceForge has changed the numbering of all the bugs. If you go to the page
https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/bugs/, "Search Bugs" in the upper left corner can be used
to resolve old numbers.
- 1284: round of cleanup with PNGWalkTool
- bugfix: restore ctrl+mouse wheel pan behavior.
- bugfix in aggregation completion, where the path is not part of the completion.
- rte_1930845582: xds.length()!=yds.length() in odd branch of SeriesRenderer guess cadence.
- rte_1635938883: NullPointerException for new users when entering pngwalk
- 1281: linestyle settings not set properly for pngwalk, clone to new window
- 1282: CDF LABL_PTR_2 when the data is rank 2
- NoDataInInterval exception on das2stream is treated the same as with QStreams.
- autoranging in ImageDataSource didn't account for explicit scaling, which would prevent Pngwalks from being run.
- 1277: initial delay caused by bindings
- getDataSets method for Jython loads multiple datasets in parallel
- SIUnits class finally included in release to help with maturing that code.
- FileNotFound with HTTP shows file not found from automatic .gz attempt, not the original
- bugfix in concatenate, where join of FDataSets would cause cast exception
- vap+audiosystem now returns elapsed seconds instead of trying to calculate UT time
- catch missing rank and name tags in QStreams
- 1272: (rte 1771804608) new users would see failure to check for null pointers when creating folders. Thanks CORYB and lesidaner!
- 1265: Don't reload remote scripts into the editor when the local copy is already showing. Show fscache scripts as read-only.
- Hanning window had off-by-one error making it asymmetric
- 1270: improve labels for Tools bookmarks. Improve handling of .jy for tools
- 1270: Beware: any tool in the Tools bookmarks is trusted, including remote bookmarks!
- formatBookmarks formats to temp file then moves result
- asterisk in new folder of bookmarks tool fixed.
- 1229: Apache HTTP automatic unzip/gzip. Improvements to get this working.
- 1266: Jython script editor recent files GUI font increased to 10 to improve legibility.
- trim dataset would fail when trim boundary was after the biggest point
- completions in jython accept the java code with correct arguments now, was taking the last one.
- 1264: changes to support updates as the user drags the mouse
- 1263: old kludge for LANL prevented Maven cdf from working, tighten up kludge to only use if necessary.
- 1259: reload all needs to reload the ephemeris (TCA) data.
- 1250: Ephemeris (TCAs) from TSBs at the mission beginning and NRT handled poorly.
- add shift+mousewheel nudge behavior
- das2servers can return non-200 error codes.
- PNGWalkToo digitizer looks up plot coordinates when axis metadata is found.
- initial coding to use NIO for CDF reads, which will be faster and take less JVM memory.
- add setDepend0Cadence to filters
- introduce trim( ds, dataset('2013-03-03'), dataset('2013-03-04') ) and in filters
- display URL in SPASE record Space/Granule/Source/URL/text node.
- new code for python debugging and new filters dialogs added, but these are still under development
- add fog parameter to ImageDataSource, so that an image can provide context competing with overplots
- marsx orbits added to time range editor.
- vap+inline: data editor table has editable cells
- 393: das2server list responses can contain human-readable descriptions.
- --server keyword replaces --port keyword, indicate server status on title bar.
- add randu functions, since Matlab "rand" is ambiguous.
- introduce merge command for safely combining datasets
- improvements to the orbit plot, including properly binding color and thick.
- Tools bookmarks editor rebranded "Tools", avoid problem where address bar is reset to the script name.
- introduce save_cdf and restore_cdf intended to replace save and restore commands in IDL with non-proprietary format.
- jython editor shows python doc blocks in popup completions.
- secret button for switching dataSetSelector/timeRangeSelector
- improve gap detection in orbitPlot
- orbitPlot supports renderControls like color and lineThick.
- 391: aggregation trims datasets so that result is monotonic
Less recent features:
- Internal RBSP Orbits updated to 2014-10-09
- 385: tools menu now supports folders
- generalize mean, mode, stddev, and variance to support any rank dataset by using DataSetIterator. Support fill data.
- rfe 387: support gzip encoding in downloadResourceAsTempFile.
- rfe 386: interpolation routines must only extrapolate modestly.
- CDF filtering Rank 2 variables with other Rank 2 variables
- createPlot resurrected to support slicers
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.