Autoplot Application (20131205d)
New where parameter for CDF makes it easier to filter by mode.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including local files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension a module is used to load the data into the internal data model. Data is then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data.
This is the Autoplot2013b branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 6 is now required.
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line. Note CDFs are only supported
via the Java-based reader and Autoplot will attempt to use it when the C-based version is not available.
SourceForge has changed the numbering of all the bugs. If you go to the page
https://sourceforge.net/p/autoplot/bugs/, "Search Bugs" in the upper left corner can be used
to resolve old numbers.
- rte_1466756642: new code broke "View in Autoplot" button. Thanks balazs, dgcrawfo, and icohen
- 1138: don't mistake "/c" for protocol in "/c:/"
- isConstant uses equivalent function now, instead of .equals.
- A CDF variable's DELTA_PLUS_VAR could point to itself, cause infinite recursion and crashing Java
- improve support for rank 2 energies, supporting ds[:,0:2,:] so DEPEND_2 is preserved.
- the delegate editor with aggregation could not remove parameters.
- DataSourceEditor browseSourceType handles plugins like script:... properly, avoiding runtime error.
- Edit->Options copied to Options->Additional Options, Edit-Options will be removed after AGU.
- check rich ascii dep0 for colon splitting name from description
- 1128: horizontal and vertical slices need to go away when data goes away
- 1129: renderers can get out of sync with axes, fail to repaint
- 1130: bugfix in java cdf, where outerProduct was used to replicate a non-varying record, replacing invalid measurements with fill value, so valid range could not be corrected.
- addTab is run on event thread, could cause deadlock
- reference in DataSource to QStream removed because it was not necessary and caused compile problems.
- clean up after vertical and horizontal spectrogram slicers when spectrogram is removed
- 1095: Seth showed experimental handling of reference cache was causing problems.
- empty CDF files now trigger NoDataInIntervalException when a variable contains no records, rather than IllegalArgumentException, to support use in scripts.
- 1124: reproducible deadlock on mac when printing to PDF
- export bundle to qds now uses specialized formatter for efficient output. Before it would have to use the same encoding for all datasets.
- Horizontal slice works again with spectrograms with rank 2 Y and some records containing all fill, thanks Joe!
- UVI images were mistaken for waveform data, thanks Len!
- 1119: exceptions thrown with no message
- correct the selection area with events renderer orbit mode and gantt mode.
- 1118: default uncaught exception handler not set for CreatePngWalk
- 1117: .jy parameters panel would mess up timeranges
- put in access information into manifest to remove warning about missing permissions manifest attribute.
- rte_0530313353: script window shows error locations again
- minor correction to completions in script editor when no characters constrain."x=<COMP>"
- export to .wav would truncate data to ints before rescaling
- harmless warnings caused by failed find style node cleaned up
- 1076: width=0 causes runtime error dialog (this is probably fixed, I couldn't demo the bug)
- rte_0956688396: ArrayIndexOutOfBounds with reset zoom
- rte_1219433822: Runtime error with export data when no option can be selected but "okay" is pressed.
- 1112: poor adapt of legacy TableDataSet from das2server
- 1111: AutoplotDataServer looks for $H in granules, switches to process by hour.
- 1104: new cache problems, in-memory cache limited to 5 seconds.
- 1106: contours render, copy plot elements down.
- 1109: vap setting of zaxis range not respected
- 1110: allow cdaweb master file to override LABL_PTR_1
- length render shows equation of the line
- "Plot Below" button on horizontal slicer copies the data onto the canvas.
- CDF data source allows &where=mode.eq(1)
- slice1 allows slicing at a datum like "1000 eV"
- history dialog has .vap button for convenience and example filter.
- waveform data supported in the series renderer, allowing finer control.
- add DasPlot options for plot background color, grid color, etc
- properly signed jnlp application allows launching without excessive security dialogs
- Also, message bubble timeout preference introduced as well as displayLogLevel
- 1093: printingLogLevel preference allows messages to be turned off when printing.
- Options panel replaced with custom GUI, old and redundant controls removed, explanations added
- introductory support for VOTables.
Less recent features:
- 331: DataSetAnnotations allows operations to be recycled.
- 330: Timestamp on PDF and PNG output
- Henry's CubicRoot solver
- 1120: Series mode has a more useful rendering of data when there are > 200000 points.
- Orbit files updated to Nov 20.
- automatically switch contexts in Jython editor when .jyds extension is used.
- Add ctrl-L shortcut for reload all.
- add buttons for availability and reduce in aggregation GUI
- slice windows have slope slicer
- .d2t and .qdst extensions resolve to the das2 stream/qstream reader to support the text extension.
- createPngWalk command line now returns success/fail exit codes
- experimental "now" allowed in timeranges like "2001-01-01/now"
- DataSetAnnotations allows us to cache repeat operations more easily
- rfe 327: pngwalks from event lists
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.