Autoplot Application (20130227c)
New FFT function allows the window size, overlaps, and windowing function to be selected.
Autoplot attempts to allow plotting of data from many data sources, including local files and OpenDAP servers.
Datasets are identified with URIs, and by the URI's extension a module is used to load the data into the internal data model. Data is then
displayed by guessing the rendering method and axis ranges to provide a reasonable, useful view of the data.
This is the Autoplot2012b branch. This is an update to the production version containing bugfixes and minor new features.
Java 6 is now required.
Single-jar version, autoplot.jar, can be run without network access and from the command line. Note CDFs are only supported
via the Java-based reader and Autoplot will attempt to use it when the C-based version is not available.
- 3605590: Java CDF reader no longer holds on to open files, this caused problems, and now we close after 10 seconds.
- 3606197: NN spectrograms fixed for rank 2 DEPEND_1.
- recent changes to Jython eq and ne infix ops broke Jython code like (ds!=None)
- 3605224: major ticks don't line up when one axis of stack has labels.
- 3605415: CDF type "spectrogram>noauto", and user pref for spectrogram
- 3605230: jython rank zero result of gt ought to be a boolean
- 3604997: color scatter not connected to colorbar
- 3604985: CDF DELTA_PLUS/DELTA_MINUS define bins for NN Spectrogram
- 3604265: partial load of timeseries when scanning around.
- 3599689: agg sometimes not loading when two on same plot
- 3604489: double check of isLocal in WebFileSystem results in failure
- 3603701: Preserve DatumRange types (orbit:...) with built-in axis scan,history
- 3604777: agg completions missing when tab is pressed in address bar
- 3587261: white-trace-on-white background is allowed again, because trace on top of spectrogram. A warning is displayed now.
- JythonDataSource tweaked bug where web filesystems would fail to update.
- AsOrderOneUnits routine (used in Length mouse module) would skip a unit, so it would use minutes then days
- ascii reader would mistakenly identify the 1001th line as a data line when it really was still the header.
- eventListColumn in ascii reader works for short files.
- orbit range preserved in das2 history, the axis built-in history would loose identity.
- 3603591: Jython internal implementation would result in concurrency problems when thrashing AutoplotServer
- TimeRangeTool defaults to RBSP-A orbit instead of RBSP-B.
- 3603563: pngwalk tool close doesn't exit when it is the only dialog
- 3603262: special error messages for malformed URIs
- 3603173: copy plot elements down resets ranges
- null pointer exception if inspect icon was pressed before entering a URI.
- rte_0087414712: null pointer exception when hanning filter used on rank 2 dataset without dep0 and dep1.
- contours renderer checks for rank 2 dataset
- old deprecated addPanel and deletePanel methods removed.
- rte_0644107226: null pointer exception when internal URIs (vap+internal:data_1,data_2) cannot be handled.
- MultiFieldTimeParser made public so it can be used in scripts.
- clear the RENDER_TYPE when make a (X,Y->Z) bundle with Add Plot... dialog.
- bugfix with CDF editor since components were made selectable, non-data elements like Epoch are accessible again
- remove unnecessary creation of das2 filesystem when downloadResourceAsTempFile is used, which prevented Bob's data from loading.
- RPWS Juno plugin allows waveforms to be viewed.
- downloadFileAsTempFile avoids creating das2 filesystem because it would hang for Bob's TSDS server
- 3600315: Some dialogs still weren't positioned relative to their parent.
- CDF INT8 type was never added.
- Columns AA and up are plottable in Excel spreadsheet reader.
- CSV editor uses parts of the ascii table GUI to make a more usable editor, before it would just show first 20 lines.
- Dan upgraded the JPG metadata-extractor library to support Java 7.
- 3599237: Time Range Tool would not accept time range string unless enter was pressed before exiting the GUI
- RBSP-B orbits file had a bug in it, and orbits after 240 were incorrect.
- 3598146: undos of autoRenderType misreported as T->T
- 3597950: save as dialog kept forgetting last directory because of "file:/" prefix
- 3578215: fix layout doesn't preserve relative heights, correcting "make same height" action
- double entries file:/*/*.vap and /*/*.vap are now subsumed in URI history
- Make aggregation finally handles versioning, looking for "vXX" or "vX.X.X"
- 3596556: Jython scripts handling of FileNotFoundException
- 3596098: canvas image on layout tab is always repainted, never cached
- work around javaws bug where png files can't be used for icons on Macs.
- clean up of bookmarks, when bookmark is dragged to or from remote folder.
- minor clean-up of scripts that used old CDAWeb names.
- documentation lookup in script editor is done off the event thread
- undo/redo bug where "unidentified change" would break things
- history dialog doesn't use data loading thread, minor bugfixes.
- TCA (empheris) progress wheel showed where the data loading thread needed to be synchronized because of double loads.
- 3594789: poor feedback when component unbundles are incorrect. setException must be called after setDataSet(null)
- add support for sliding FFT and better control of the window function.
- add experimental rebinner for LANL RBSP data that indicates spectrogram boundaries
- experimental tool for recording GUI sequences added
- add vapfile: prefix so that I can read in exception reports without changing file names
- version stamp finally added to the address bar
- Only useful Plot Styles are enabled
- 3596086: CDF vector components selectable
- add libraries for sending email, to be used in scripts
- add button for creating time range strings in Create Pngwalk dialog
- 3598216: File cache can be organized by alpha as well as by size.
- RFE 3600323: AutoplotDataServer handles TSBs that do not product time series data
- local ro_cache.txt can now contain files that are not in the public http, to support data providers
- undo list and getLongUndoDescription now consider timerange bindings when reporting changes.
- AutoplotServlet now reports host that served the data in response header, to support clusters of servers
- Add skip parameter to csv file reader to support MyTracks app.
- Rows are plottable in the Excel spreadsheet reader.
- GPS metadata retrieved in (JPG) image viewer
Less recent features:
- command line on console tab keeps last 20 commands between sessions
- introduce secret feature for testing reference cache -DenableReferenceCache=true will enable the cache for CDF and aggregations.
- add collapse functions to scripting. These were available in the processes but not by the same name in scripting.
- RBSP orbits updated to 2012-01-08
This completes the feature set for the new production branch. No major features will be added before branching this version.
A production branch will be started in a couple of weeks, and the "Start Autoplot" link at the top of
autoplot.org will run this version.
Feedback on the function and quality of this release is greatly appreciated!
Data is input from:
- ASCII files (.dat,.txt)
- CSV files (.csv)
- Binary files (.bin)
- CDF files(.cdf)
- Excel spread sheets (.xls)
- das2Streams (.d2s or .das2Stream)
- ViRBO's TSDS server
- CDAWeb data server (vap+cdaweb:)
- das2servers (vap+das2server:)
- QStreams (.qds), QDataSet on a das2Stream
- Plasma Wave Group das2 Server
- NetCDF files (.nc,.ncml)
- HDF5 files (.h5,.hdf5)
- DODs servers (.dds)
- Cluster Exchange Format files (.cef)
- Fits Format Files
- Images (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Wav audio files (.wav)
This is not complete, and limitations include:
- Quantities of rank 3 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,pitch) are plotted by slicing.
- Quantities of rank 4 dimensionality (e.g. flux(Time,Energy,azimuth,sector) are plotted by slicing twice.
autoplot.org is the wiki website, and contains
more information than this launch page.